Tuesday, 10 April 2012

DRAWING PAGES IN MY SKETCHBOOK

Here are all of my completed drawing pages, which include my visual research and some development! I feel relieved to have completed this part of my project, as I can now focus on the fun part which is creating designs!

The first page is a bit wobbly as I changed from an A3 sketchbook to an A2 one on the advice of my tutor, and was just getting to grips with filling the larger scale. I think on this page, particularly on the left, I have managed to convey my theme well. I love the combination of simple, kohl-like drawings of basic Egyptian imagery with the grungy elements of the checked Viv Westwood shirt and the tie-dyed jumper and clutch bag shown. I am not so keen on the other half of the page, as I got off to a scratchy start, but I like the happy accident that was the bleached-out effect of the museum photographs I had taken, which turned out the way they did because my printer was running out of ink :)

This is one of my favourite pages as it is so full of imagery, and I think the grey seems to work well with the grunge element. I also think that greys look amazing with gold as the contrast makes gold really stand out, so I will definitely ensure I include grey in my pallet! I love the Nirvana poster I found in an NME magazine as it is so understated but effective, and the gritty effect of the black and white inspired me to try mono-print and mark-making to create grungy textures. I think the black watercolour has worked well, and would add a good texture to a print. The patterns on the left of the page were created using markers onto metallic paper, which were taken directly from the imagery on a mummies casket. I photocopied the original in black and white, as I felt the colours looked quite dated and didn’t fit with my trend research for A/W. I have also looked at more textures in the form of denim and snakeskin. Both are in season, and link in well with my theme. The image of the girl in bleached denim was taken from ‘fashiongrunge.com’, and I love the rebellious and slightly American appeal of the image. I don’t like the effect of the snake drawing as I find it too plain, but I like the effects of the denim (acrylics) and snake print (drawing ink) as they have a dark ‘Joy Division’ effect with the rough peaks and troughs, although I’m not sure how I would develop them.

On this page I have continued to explore different textures through mono-print, marbling and vinyl-emulsion transfer. I have looked more at hieroglyphics with my own photography, and also the recent body art at the Vivienne Westwood catwalk which resembled Egyptian markings. I think this works well in mono-print, but I think I prefer the previous thick tarry appearance. I have looked again at the idea of snakeskin, including the predicted trend by ‘Drapers’ magazine and a photocopy of the back of the snake drawing on the previous page, which I actually prefer where you can see all of the pen marks. Grunge imagery comes from a recent ‘Topshop’ advert and another from ‘fashiongrunge.com’, and I think they look effective with my drawings and will hopefully inspire my prints. I love the effect of the ‘Topshop’ advert transferred using the emulsion, as it has a vintage yet very fresh feel, and I could easily develop the pale denim texture on the image. The mono-printed scarab beetle, which was done with a technique called ‘loose-film printing’ using ‘thin film inks’, has turned out well with a great texture. However, comparing it to my bolder Egyptian drawings, I think this project will work better by keeping the Egyptian elements quite heavy and graphic and using different mark-makings, such as the black and turquoise marble print which I love for the grungier textures.

This page pretty much focuses on Egyptian motifs, looking at mummies, scarabs and a ‘Horus’ statue. It combines photography I took from ‘The British Museum’ when I was down in London, and also photography from Egypt which I found on ‘flickr.com’. I have experimented a lot with my scarab motif, as I think it has a lot of potential in my print stages. I really like the motif I’ve coloured with markers, and I still feel as though the bolder images are visually stronger than the grainier mono-prints. However I like the graphite drawing I have done of a mummy, but I don’t think it would develop well unless I filled it with watercolours, but even then I think it would stray away from the solid motifs I want to use. I wanted to focus on the bold lines which are on the caskets of the mummies, as I like the bandage effect and I think stripes will work well with anything! I particularly love the collaged triangle as I think it is open to number of possibilities due to its shape, as it could be used on a collar, a body piece or as spike detail which is currently very fashionable. The stripes and daisy collage was also taken directly from a photograph of the detail on a mummies casket, and I think the stripes are particularly strong with their mix of textures. This would work well collaged or as small detail, for example embellished onto a collar using long, tubular beads? The Horus drawing was very basic, and I also developed it by photocopying it then using a metallic paint pen and watercolours, which has worked well and has a bold yet feminine quality. I think this will work well in development as it is an unusual shape, and I will experiment with rotation and the flip tools to see if I can create an unusual motif. I don’t like the gouache hieroglyphics, as again I’m not keen on the warmer colours as they look dated and are too predictable. I prefer the basic symbols as they are more contemporary and fashion forward, and they have a darker more alternative appearance.


Here I have looked at wings and stripes in a bold fashion, using media like Indian ink, marker pens and contrasting watercolours. I love the Cleopatra influence on the styling of the Art-Deco Gucci dress on the left, and the use of long gold tubular beads used on the dress is something I want to sample with as they have a polished and edgy appearance when placed together. I have created a small section of stripe inspired from the famous Tutankhamen head, again very simple but effective with appliqué or embellishment. The watercolour stripes I think have turned out very well, and the colours are very unusual; they could work well as both a background or turned into a sophisticated print. I prefer the slightly more inky drawings on this page such as the ink and bleach image I have worked over with Indian ink, and the bright watercolour and gold ink stripes, as they are both bold and textured, and I think they have more scope for development. The graphic wing shape I drew mainly for shape and form rather than print purposes, and I would never use the drawing in a print, but I think it would look effective laser cut either as cut out or for appliqué, perhaps with leather onto black woollen mesh for a ‘so-dated-its-in-fashion’ appearance which would fit into the grunge theme. The gouache painting I think has worked ok and I think it would work best on a small scale, widely spaced repeat, although the painting doesn’t particularly jump out as an image I want to use.

This page focuses on a gold theme with lots of transfer experimentations using a screen-grab of Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra, and more mark-making. Images of samples from ‘Drapers’ magazine, which shows the fabric trends for A/W, ensure that my gold focus is very relevant for the up-coming trends. I also love the dramatic image that is the Alexander McQueen metallic body suit which is entirely covered with metal paillettes, as the effect of all over embellishment is stunning. The Cleopatra image I have transferred using a variety of techniques, such as vinyl-emulsion transfer both photocopied wet and left dry, using screen wash transfer and also printing the original image onto acetate for more luminous colours. I love the brighter boldness of the acetate image, as I think the detail is very strong and it seems a shame to lose it through transfer techniques. I will definitely try and enhance this detail in the development stages, particularly through embellishment! I have also included a plain black marbling sample, which I feel works well with the mix of solid structures as it is so fluid and slick. Although I wanted to keep my Egyptian imagery more graphic, the result of my thin film ink mono-print turned out messier than expected due to putting the ink down too thick, however, I quite like the vivid blue mottled over the bronze and could use this to fill in shapes in motifs, for example the scarab or Horus images.

This is my final drawing page :) I have focussed on mosaic elements, from photography from the Hancock Museum of real Egyptian mosaic and screenshots from the 1963 ‘Cleopatra’ film, as well as inspiration from designers using elongated sequins, as I think the two work well together. Again I have looked at Alexander McQueen for inspiration as his work is always rich with interesting techniques and processes, this time the honeycomb laser-cut leather. I noticed a similar pattern on a wall in the ‘Cleopatra’ film, and decided to take direct influence and create a basic elongated hexagon to experiment with the laser cutter. I plan to try the motif with both black leather and acetate for sequins! And that is the end of this rather long post ;)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thankyou haha it wore me out...my eyes are going! I'm still going though :p

      Delete