Tuesday, 17 April 2012

MOTIF SAMPLES









Here are some eventual samples I have done featuring Egyptian motifs. For most of them, I have used foils being the magpie that I am, and one also has a lino motif melted into the fabric. I am actually very pleased with the outcome of these and particularly love the scarab sample I have embroided into, from the colours to the textures, I'm just not sure what I want to do with it yet!

The foil I used was actually loose sheet foil which you buy pieces of in boxes, and I chose the multi-coloured one for the gorgeous steel and coral tones mixed with the gold, which I felt went very well with my project. I think the rough texture of the foil along with the built up embroidery reflects the Luke Brooke collection as one of my inspirations.

I think I will definitely embroid and embellish the lino sample, as I feel it could turn out quite well, and I also plan to cut out the foiled leather sample with bird motifs, which I think works well on its own due to the unusual combination. I like the use of black leather in this project as it enhances the mix of textures and adds some needed structure and toughness.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie, and thanks for following my blog! I can see you have some pretty exciting things going on right now. Good luck with your business plan and studies! I like the Egyptian theme you're exploring. Ancient symbols are fascinating. I'm into rock carvings and runes myself and want to explore them more in the future. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your work with foils and embroidery combined. the top motif sample is my absolute favourite. Well done Mel! Keep on keeping on...definitely travelling in a great direction.

    ReplyDelete