Sunday, 6 May 2012

ELONGATED HEXAGONS








Here are some examples of some leather which I lasercut simple repeat shapes into which has resulted in two totally different outcomes. The larger scale cut-out has a bold and simple effect, which I think has worked well but doesn't have anything particularly 'stand-out' about it. On the other hand, the smaller scale cut-out hasn't cut as clean through the leather, but as a result appears more interesting and has a unique quality. Although this was the result of a happy accident, I think it is a strong outcome and would look better enhanced with hidden foiled fabric and embellished segments behind selective cut-outs. I think this would also be very relevant for menswear too, as the thick leather and strong sharp shape would override the metallics, and I plan to create a mens vest along these lines as part of my accessories collection.



I was originally inspired again by McQueen, this time being the detail on one of his futuristic dresses. The placement of the lasercut leather I also think would work well as accessory inspiration, as it would also be successful as an individual cropped waistcoat which could be worn over different garments. I also noticed a lot of elongated embellishments on A/W 2012/13 catwalks, such as rectangular sequins and tubular beads.

Nicole Fahri


Nicole Fahri

Iceberg

Iceberg


Matthew Williamson
Matthew Williamson
These are just a few of the desingners using long beads and sequins to achieve a glassier surface reflection in their most recent catwalk collections. I love embellishment but feel as though normal sequins are beginning to look a little dated, so after seeing all the new shapes which also happen to link to my mosaic research, I felt inspired to see if I could make my own sequins out of acetate. I used the same pattern as my leather, only scaled it down dramatically although I do believe larger hexaganol sequins would also be effective and more of a statement. Here are a few I created using one of my prints on acetate, then using masking tape to collect the sequins and prevent them falling into the machine.




I am happy with the way the sequins have turned out and think they will look effective used as clustered embellishment, particularly over my prints, and I also think the left over acetate has an unusual appearance that could be manipulated, for example using it to contrast textures such as placing half over a sheer or coated fabric and layering for a striking effect.

1 comment:

  1. Great annotation Mel, very sophisticated laser cut leather too

    ReplyDelete