Sunday, 6 May 2012

HAIR EXTENTIONS AS DETAIL

Here is a scan of some hair extentions which I dyed as part of my project. I dyed them in the same fashion as most of my two-tone fabrics, by dipping each end into a concentrated pot of dye with added soda ash, then twisting so the dye line was feathered for a grungy effect. Unfortunately as I didn't dye the centre of the extensions, some of the dye wasn't as strong and as a result there was a green tinge left in places. I ended up dyeing the whole extensions intense turquoise as I knew it wouldn't effect the black, and I also added a small amount of navy blue to counterbalance the blonde. I had to use human hair extensions, as the process would not have taken on synthetic hair, and I think eventually it turned out ok. I have an identical extention to the one shown, and I will be adding clustered small black Swarovski crystals to the black part of the extentions, graduating towards the centre, and they will be attatched to a pair of long cuffs for an avant-garde effect! My inspiration to do this was from my previous research of Katie Eary, who used long, dip-dyed hair in her mensewar collection.

1 comment:

  1. I recently stumbled across your blog and I LOVE it! I love the layout to the content and everything in between! I love reading about your latest happenings, it's interesting getting an insight to a textile design student. You work is fantasti and you are very talented. I am your newest, most avid follower, I look forward to reading your future posts. I would love it if you could perhaps follow me back too? Have a lovely day!

    Love from, THE EASTERN PEARL

    ReplyDelete